Poisonous plants for rabbits

Poisonous plants for rabbits

Despite the fact that the rabbit is a herbivore, not all plants are suitable for feeding. Some herbs are not just harmful to the health of the animal, but can also cause death.

Poisonous plants for rabbits

Such plants are usually divided into conventionally poisonous and poisonous. Poisonous substances contained in conditionally poisonous plants do not act on the rabbit’s body at once, but first accumulate in tissues and, only reaching a certain concentration, begin their destructive effect. Poisonous substances contained in poisonous plants act immediately.

The greatest danger for rabbits is represented by plants of the family of buttercup. In fresh form in the buttercup ordinary contains protoanemonin – a poison that has a burning taste and a sharp, unpleasant odor. It is this substance that causes acute poisoning in animals, which is accompanied by diarrhea and swelling. The animal does not die at once, but loses its appetite, becomes sluggish, begins to lose weight significantly.

Poisoning by protanemonin is most often hidden, since the plant is conventionally poisonous and the poison in the animal’s body accumulates gradually. Therefore, it is better to avoid hatching of buttercups in hay and do not feed such feed to young animals and nursing females.

To the family of buttercups there are lumbago – perennial flowering plants with a high content of poison. At the same time, when the plant dries, the poison breaks down and it can be safely taken for food. Fresh shoots cause dyspnoea, diarrhea in animals, and paralysis and cramps in a large number. At the same time, the body temperature of the rabbit significantly decreases and there is a violation of the heart activity.

It is also necessary to avoid hay, prepared for animals, such a plant as a fighter (aconite). Fighters can be found everywhere (grows on the European territory of our country, as well as in the Far East and Siberia).

The leaves and flowers of the fighter contain a huge amount of aconitine, a toxic chemical compound. A high concentration of this poison is found in the roots of plants. The most dangerous fighter during flowering. Even the dried up wrestler remains extremely poisonous, therefore it is recommended not to allow food of animals of this plant.

The following symptoms may be attributed to signs of aconite poisoning: high salivation, aggressive behavior, low blood pressure and body temperature, delayed heart rate. Diarrhea may occur, yellowing of the mucous membranes. Long-term use of the fighter in food causes paralysis of the respiratory center in animals and leads to a lethal outcome.

Poisonous for rabbits, grass is considered to be a chieftain – a representative of the family of lilac. Equally dangerous is both fresh and dry grass. The main symptoms of poisoning with a kelp: convulsions, shortness of breath, trembling, diarrhea, drooling. Death from poisoning occurs in a matter of hours, most often the animal can not be saved.

Another dangerous representative of the lily family is a cedar-tree, he is also a meadow hunter. It is poisonous both fresh and dried. Contains the strongest poison colchicine, which completely affects the cardiovascular system of the animal. Symptoms of poisoning: diarrhea (more often with blood), lower body temperature, drooling. As a rule, the animal dies in a couple of days after poisoning.

Digitalis represents a huge danger for rabbits. The plant belongs to the family of the Noricornia. Initially acts imperceptibly, since it is a conventionally poisonous plant. With the accumulation of toxic substances in the animal’s tissue, death occurs, accompanied by convulsions and convulsions.




Poisonous plants for rabbits