In the territory of the former Soviet Union, more than 50 different breeds of geese were bred, which allowed Russia to become one of the first places in the world to produce goose meat, liver and canned food. One of the most successful breeds from the selection point of view is still the Pereyaslav geese.
The breed was bred in the territory of modern Ukraine in the Chernigov region by crossing ordinary gray geese of local breeds with Chinese geese. As a result of crossing, rather large geese with the following characteristics characteristic for this breed were obtained:
1. Black paws and beak;
2. The big bump on the forehead;
3. Huge fat fold under the beak;
4. The length of the trunk is medium, in front the body of the goose is slightly elevated;
5. On the abdomen there is a fairly voluminous fat deposition;
6. Dark-brown plumage on the neck and bright in other parts of the body;
7. The weight of an adult gander reaches 6 kilograms, geese – 5 kilograms;
8. For one season the goose can demolish from 20 to 40 eggs, weighing more than 165 grams. The maximum number of eggs obtained from 1 goose reaches 70, with more than 85% of them being fertilized, which contributes to high goslings yield;
9. They do not require an additional feed base, they are suitable for keeping on a forage;
10. Breeders did not manage to achieve high meat indices in this breed, however, crossing made geese insensitive to changing temperature conditions and bad weather conditions.
The contents of the Pereyaslav geese
It is much easier to breed the Pereiaslav breed of geese than any other that is associated with such a characteristic feature of the breed as increased resistance to diseases, cold, lack of vitamins, fertilizing and even water.
Naturally, the Pereyaslav geese need a warm place to sleep and be in bad weather, but geese of this breed, which have fallen under heavy rain, will dry out, and geese of another breed can get sick and die.
In the maintenance of geese, drafts, strong supercooling and excessive proximity to other animals and birds should be avoided. Geese should be kept separate from pigs and chickens, as they can easily catch the dangerous incurable diseases that these animals suffer.
It is extremely important to constantly clean the premises where geese are kept. In dirty, filled with goose feces poultry can develop diseases such as salmonellosis and cholera. In addition, geese in the stuffy atmosphere of the poultry house the geese will stop eating well, and accordingly they will stop gaining weight.
For feeding the Pereiaslav breed of geese, the most suitable forage is forage, they do not need special feeds. In winter, geese with great appetite absorb corn and wheat. Before distributing corn grain it should be soaked in warm water and left in such position for a day. Wheat should not be soaked, it can be distributed as a dry food.
With a great appetite goose geese are wet, consisting of corn grits, cake, greens and finely grated vegetables. In the presence of a large garden, it is possible to plant sugar beet specially for geese, so that in winter it is possible to distribute this delicacy to the feeding troughs.
Slaughter of geese is usually carried out in the late autumn, for the winter only tribal individuals are left, in the amount of no more than 3-4 pieces of goose and the same number of gander.
The geese are slaughtered with a conventional ax or knife. After the head of the goose is separated from the trunk, you should hang it upside down to drain the blood. An impure carcass is placed in a vat of hot water, then plucked and chopped.
Pereyaslavskaya breed of geese