Orenburg goat breed

Orenburg goat breed

Orenburg goat breed

This species of goat was brought to Russia in the 19th century, by crossing several varieties of goats. The goal was to get fluff of good quality, soft and delicate, for the production of clothes, including the well-known to the whole world Orenburg shawl. The Orenburg breed differs from other breeds of goats, they are more enduring, since in the climatic zone where they are born, rather changeable weather, the air temperature can vary greatly several times a day.

But animals like a moderate climate and an average plus and minus temperature. The weight of the body of these goats is also many times greater than that of other breeds. In the withers reach up to 68-70cm. On average, the female weighs about 40-50 kg. The weight of the animal can change with age, season, quality and quantity of food. They have a strong skeleton, wide bones and head, legs short, but stocky, ears quite long and hang down.

Orenburg goat breed

The goats of this breed have long horns. The wool is one-toned, thick and long, about 250-400 grams of fluff can be combed from one goat per year, sometimes about 700 grams, and about 350 grams of wool. If divided by percentage, then 65% of the entire wool coat is long and coarse, the remaining 35% is a thin short fluff. The quantity and quality depends on the age of the individual, up to 4 years there is an increase in productivity, and after 7 years – a decline, in some cases the fluff becomes brittle. Feeding and caring for animals also affect the amount and quality of combed down and wool. Pooh is slightly shorter and thinner than other breeds, about 7-9 cm. The color of the coat is usually black, brown, gray and sometimes white.

The goat of the goat of the Orenburg breed has no competitors, it is better in appearance, it is more durable, perfectly twisted in a thread. The demand for woolen products is growing, and the number of Orenburg goats has decreased recently. Therefore, the price of woolen shawls increases. This was the predecessors of Orenburg shawls – Kashmiri shawls, these items are quite expensive and are valued by consumers for their quality and comfort. Products made from goat fluff are not afraid of moisture, very warm and beautiful. Skins of goats are also used for dressing sheepskin coats or fur coats. Meat is used for food.

Orenburg goats are good not only for combing wool and down, they also give milk, tasty and healthy, like all goats. The fat content of this milk is 3.9-5%. The truth is less than other breeds, about 150-250 liters for half a year while there is lactation, give birth to goats often for two or three cubs, so they feed kids and “give” milk to milk at the same time. The birth of two and three young is quite common, with 100 heads of females about 140 kids.

Small goats quickly gain weight and already by the age of 5 months have a mass as half an adult goat. As for feed, they are not whimsical for treats, they love green lush grass most of all, but also eat leaves from bushes, branches, vegetables, various grasses, including dry grass, haylage from sunflower and corn, loose fodder. The presence in the diet of succulent grass is mandatory, so as not to disrupt the work of the intestines and to prevent constipation.

Orenburg goat adapts poorly to the conditions of other regions of Russia, for this reason, the breeding of this breed continues only in the Southern Urals, in Orenburg and in some nearby regions and villages. Strength and quality of wool, uniform color, shiny, subtle fluff, strong stamina, large body weight, survival in sharply continental climate – huge pluses. In this regard, the breeding of the downy goat breed of Orenburg is very valuable for the country.




Orenburg goat breed